Simple Minds Were Simply Amazing - My Review of The Walk Between Worlds Tour In Detroit

I have been a Simple Minds fan for close to 40 years (yeesh).

The first, and only time until yesterday, I saw them perform live was at Pine Knob when they opened for The Pretenders on August 14, 1984. To the best of my recollection I loved every minute.



Never stopped listening to, and loving, the music from Simple Minds. The core members Charlie Burchill (guitars n keys) and vocalist Jim Kerr have never stopped making music that spoke to me on many levels. I was able to follow their tours on the net over the last few years - let me amend that sentence to include the word "European" in front of "tours". Sure, they came over to the states in 2013 and some other time, but they never stopped in Michigan in spite of my pleas!

Until LAST NIGHT! Gotta say it was worth the wait. With no opening act, the current line up of Simple Minds blew Julie and I out of our seats with two sets that mixed oldies, hits, deep cuts, and new music in an overwhelming display by people who love what they do.


L to R - Sarah Brown - vox, Cherisse Osei - drums, Ged Grimes - bass, Jim Kerr,
Charlie Burchill, and Gordy Goudie - guitar and keys.

The energy coming from these musicians was amazing. They tore the place up and the more the audience loved them back the better it got. Talk about getting entertainment value for the dollar - this show was light years away from a milk-the-old-fans-and-get-outta-town gig. Heart and soul were in full effect at the Fillmore in Detroit with the delicious toppings of talent, skills, camaraderie, and a joy for what they do from all six musicians.

In case you were wondering - Jim Kerr is in very fine voice, thank you very much. His vocal power was unleashed at all the right times as the band explored their big catalog. Kerr is very comfortable being the point man - but he is equally comfortable sharing the spotlight with his band mates. One of the really cool things about this show was the way the Minds interacted with each other and moved about the stage - jumping from spot- to limelight and back again with fluid ease.  Charlie had some key boards to play, but as you might expect the majority of his time was spent with one of his arsenal of guitars strapped on so he moved all over the place. 

Jack of all musical trades Gordy Goudie switched from keys to electro-accoustic guitar and back again like the musical chameleon he is. He showed up, and showed off, on every part of the stage - hopping back up on the big riser to play the keyboards and/or add some harmonizing vocals. 

Did someone mention vocals? Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Sarah Brown.

Does Sarah have the vocal chops to cut through Charlie's n Gordy's sonic barrage, Ged's killer bass work and one wild drummer named Cherisse?  Oh my goodness YES! 

I believe she first toured with Simple Minds in 2009 and has been a regular since. Having enjoyed her on four or five Minds albums, my expectations were high and Sarah surpassed what I expected. She took center stage on several songs - for example she pretty much sang the entirety of "Dirty Old Town" which was written for Glasgow, but might as well have been penned for The Motor City. Oh - she plays a mean cowbell as well. Sarah's voice was and is truly wonderful, she has full control bringing soft or rattling the cheap seats - funny thing, I just read on her Facebook page that Sarah was not feeling up to par in Detroit. Mercy, if she sang like she did at less than full power, then watch out for her in full voice.

Ged Grimes loves what he does. If he quit smiling at any point during the 2 1/2 hour show, then I missed it. When Kerr would throw some love his way - it got magnified and bounced back. The guy builds the musical foundation like a skilled bricklayer - rock solid with no waste of materials and an ease of playing his part that might make one overlook how important the bass line is in many Minds songs. Well done Ged.

I have to admit I was a bit miffed when I realized Mel Gaynor was not going to be providing the beats on this tour. I wondered if a young lady who (as Kerr pointed out) was not even alive the last time the Minds played Detroit would have a chance to fill his shoes?


Ha! Energy is Osei's middle name. I have never seen a drummer play that much of the time standing up (never mind the high heels on her feet). Wow - Cherisse is in full command of her kit. As a hobbyist drummer, beats are very important to my musical experiences. She nailed it - she was on fire from the opener until the end. Bravo. Who the heck is that Mel guy, anyway?

If you have a chance to catch this tour before they go back home - DO IT. I could not have been happier - the grin plastered on my face stuck for hours. I cried twice, first when they sang "come in, come out of the rain" during "Up On The Catwalk" and later during "Sanctify Yourself". My wife enjoyed the show so much she thanked me for getting tickets. (She liked Simple Minds before the show - she loves them now.)

I cannot say enough about the professionalism, killer chops, and enthusiasm Simple Minds brought to all of us. Thanks Jim and Charlie. Thanks Ged and Gordy. Thanks Sarah and Cherisse. You made my night - week - month and maybe even quarter with your talent in Detroit. Bless each of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile