Campaign Spending Violates The "Equal Benefit" Promise of Michigan Constitution

If you have talked to me or read my campaign literature, you have probably heard me reference the opening words of the Michigan Constitution: 

"All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for their equal benefit, security, and protection." Article 1, Section 1 emphasis added.

I am not a lawyer, but I do not believe one needs a law degree to realize the intention of our Constitution here. The power lies in the hands of the people of Michigan. This means ALL people of Michigan, not certain people - not ultra rich people, everybody. 

Furthermore, the equal benefit, security, and protection portion does not require an advanced degree to comprehend. We are all supposed to benefit in an equal manner. 

There are 32,090 households in the 86th District. My job as a Representative is to see that these promises of the Constitution are applied to all of those households in an equal manner. Right now that is impossible because of the massive spending of one household. One household in my District spends millions and millions of dollars to see that their political power is represented in Lansing. That this one household benefits is without question.  

This is directly opposed to what our Constitution promises. 

I do not want ANY one household to have that kind of power in Michigan. Even if everything that household believed in and promoted was in total harmony with my ideas. Every household in Michigan should matter to their legislators - not just the wishes of one.

My purpose here is not to malign or disparage 
this single household.

My purpose is to compare the reality of our current political system to the promise given to all of us in the Constitution.

We are promised equal benefit and it is time to make that promise a reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile