Throat cancer December Update

 
December 9, 2013
It has been two months since the end of my radiation treatments,
(gosh how I miss that $%#& torture)
and my taste buds still do not work or maybe I should say
do not work properly or completely.
 
 
I can taste some sweet things - like maple syrup on pancakes. I am told that sweet taste buds make up the majority of them, so I am holding on to the hope that taste returns.
The medicos have made no promises in this department. This is by far the biggest negative, so I thought I would get it out of the way.
 
On the plus side, even though I can't taste I am eating more every day and it helps.
Two weeks ago when we had a little cold snap, I was a mess.
I was wearing two shirts and a sweater and still had a portable heater going the whole day
under my desk at work. My hands and feet were still cold and I was generally chilled all the time.
Oh great, says I - gonna be a loooooong winter.
Well thanks to packing in the calories, yesterday I bundled up and took the dog for a walk and it was 21 degrees with a wind chill of 8. No after effects, no shivers. A couple of weeks ago, I could hardly stand to go around the block when it was 30 degrees.
 
Another big improvement is that my scalp was very sensitive - by that I mean it hurt to touch it or to put on a hat. Dr. Bot had no explanation for it and it lasted 3-4 weeks and then it went into BOTH of my armpits. They actually hurt when my arms were down. When the pain went to my pits, I realized that it felt exactly like it did when I had shingles. 
I didn't want to put a pic up of the other shingles - too gross.
Had an "Ah-ha" moment, got some Aleve (because Aleve was the only thing I found that helped me when shingles struck a few years ago). I used the Aleve to quiet the pain for about 3-4 days and then it left. Didn't migrate - gone.
 
 
Another med that needs a shout out is Wellbutrin. I was very low and depressed - did not have much enthusiasm for anything. I would find myself getting real pissed about little nothings and once in a while would cry for no reason at all. I went to the Cancer Society website and looked into depression and found that short of suicidal thoughts I had to check "yes" to pretty much the whole list of
Signs You Might Be Depressed.
 
Even though my doctor told me to give it 2 weeks, I began to notice a difference (BIG difference) after just a couple of days. Maybe it is the placebo effect - I don't CARE - my attitude is much better. Gotta admit I have a good deal of anxiety about my upcoming PET scan on December 28th that is going to snoop around for any cancer. I go running for the shelter of mother's little helper.
 
 
Summary - I am working full time (have been for about 3 weeks now) and we actually increased our hours on Saturday from 10-2 to 10-4. Playing my drums with some vigor. Eating a fair amount of food every day and have not used the feeding tube (Dr Bot wants to leave it in until the PET scan) for about 4 days now. Not really gaining any weight, but am holding my own and
building strength and muscles.
If I get a clean report from the PET scan, that will be a Happy New Year indeed.
 
Thanks once again for all the cheering, cards, messages, prayers and happy thoughts for me.
Its all good!
 
5 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

The Kent County Youth Fair is Moving and I am PUMPED for Lowell.

A review of Terro ant bait vs Raid - Terro wins big time.