Throat cancer December Update

 
December 9, 2013
It has been two months since the end of my radiation treatments,
(gosh how I miss that $%#& torture)
and my taste buds still do not work or maybe I should say
do not work properly or completely.
 
 
I can taste some sweet things - like maple syrup on pancakes. I am told that sweet taste buds make up the majority of them, so I am holding on to the hope that taste returns.
The medicos have made no promises in this department. This is by far the biggest negative, so I thought I would get it out of the way.
 
On the plus side, even though I can't taste I am eating more every day and it helps.
Two weeks ago when we had a little cold snap, I was a mess.
I was wearing two shirts and a sweater and still had a portable heater going the whole day
under my desk at work. My hands and feet were still cold and I was generally chilled all the time.
Oh great, says I - gonna be a loooooong winter.
Well thanks to packing in the calories, yesterday I bundled up and took the dog for a walk and it was 21 degrees with a wind chill of 8. No after effects, no shivers. A couple of weeks ago, I could hardly stand to go around the block when it was 30 degrees.
 
Another big improvement is that my scalp was very sensitive - by that I mean it hurt to touch it or to put on a hat. Dr. Bot had no explanation for it and it lasted 3-4 weeks and then it went into BOTH of my armpits. They actually hurt when my arms were down. When the pain went to my pits, I realized that it felt exactly like it did when I had shingles. 
I didn't want to put a pic up of the other shingles - too gross.
Had an "Ah-ha" moment, got some Aleve (because Aleve was the only thing I found that helped me when shingles struck a few years ago). I used the Aleve to quiet the pain for about 3-4 days and then it left. Didn't migrate - gone.
 
 
Another med that needs a shout out is Wellbutrin. I was very low and depressed - did not have much enthusiasm for anything. I would find myself getting real pissed about little nothings and once in a while would cry for no reason at all. I went to the Cancer Society website and looked into depression and found that short of suicidal thoughts I had to check "yes" to pretty much the whole list of
Signs You Might Be Depressed.
 
Even though my doctor told me to give it 2 weeks, I began to notice a difference (BIG difference) after just a couple of days. Maybe it is the placebo effect - I don't CARE - my attitude is much better. Gotta admit I have a good deal of anxiety about my upcoming PET scan on December 28th that is going to snoop around for any cancer. I go running for the shelter of mother's little helper.
 
 
Summary - I am working full time (have been for about 3 weeks now) and we actually increased our hours on Saturday from 10-2 to 10-4. Playing my drums with some vigor. Eating a fair amount of food every day and have not used the feeding tube (Dr Bot wants to leave it in until the PET scan) for about 4 days now. Not really gaining any weight, but am holding my own and
building strength and muscles.
If I get a clean report from the PET scan, that will be a Happy New Year indeed.
 
Thanks once again for all the cheering, cards, messages, prayers and happy thoughts for me.
Its all good!
 

Comments

ta2dbtrfly said…
You have shown great courage and determination in dealing with this cancer monster. You are still human, you know, and they did beat the hell out of you, daily. Be patient, be kind (to yourself). Have you thought of yoga? It sure helped me! (So did the drugs).
You didn't go to Iraq! but you did go to war. The ravages of your war take time to mend, both physically, and mentally.i know this next scan is going to be good. You are on the road to your new life, because you know, all this has changed you. picture yourself on your bike, looking AHEAD of you, not down. There is the coolest set of curves, and great scenery. Put yourself where you need to be, to slow your heart rate down, breathe from your diaphragm, it works, I promise you (with some practice). Hugs mister.
Big Red Dawg said…
Word Susan. Good advice - thanks.
Sandra said…
Lots of positives , sounds like you are definitely on the home stretch.
ruthreeser said…
Welcome to Club W, Cliffy! When I was on Zoloft it was Club Z and sounded a lot more spiffy. Hey I just made a rhyme! Anyhoo, I agree with Susan about the yoga. Exercise is ah-may-zing for depression, and since it sounds like you're not exactly up to running marathons, yoga might just be the ticket. Yoga gives great endorphins. (Julie might be jealous). But tell her that it is also for her benefit, grasshopper. You'll feel great with the knowledge that you are doing something swell for your overall well-being, mind and body! So glad to hear you are making steady progress towards resuming your place amidst the masses of humandom. We need your smile, your sanity, your ability to reason. And remember, better living through chemistry, man.
sl0wJ0n said…
Hello, Cliff.
Glad to hear your gallstones are gone.
May have to try the oil & juice.
Here's what you need to know about shingles.
Caused by a virus that infects nerve cells, & the outbreak on the skin is the area the nerves control.
A so-called "natural treatment" is l-lysine.
L-lysine as a common amino acid; if you eat pineapple, & most meats, then you consume l-lysine too.
Its safer than houses. [What percentage of accidents occur in the home?]
Enough l-lysine in the body inhibits, or may even prevent, the reproduction of certain viruses [RNA-messenger viruses], one of which causes shingle. [Typically, I need 2-3 grams per day.]
Other RNA-messenger viruses l-lysine inhibits are the rhino-viruses, which cause most colds & flus.
"Fever blisters" / "cold sores" are also caused by RNA-messenger viruses, so l-lysine works on them too.
Locally, I can catch it on sale at the local Kroger for $2.20
or so.

Hopefully helpful,
j

Have a GREAT day, neighbor!

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile