Part Next: Cliff is Clubbed by Cancer, but is still on his feets.

The past couple weeks have been overwhelming.

In a positive way, I have been totally overwhelmed by the support/cards/prayers/thoughts/rides/help/ good wishes/white light/positive vibes that have been directed at Julie and I by family, friends, friends of family, customers, and even a couple of folks I would have never thought would give a rats patoot. Wow - amazing. Cards, emails, phone calls, texts messages, rides, gifts, and silliness have descended upon us from all over.

THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF
MY LIL PEA-PICKIN' HEART.
 
Sucking in about 5 cans of this stuff every day.

On the other hand, I was in no way prepared for the punishment cancer and the treatment thereof was going to extract from me mentally and physically.
 
"Cancer Lite", says Cliff.
"Hardy Effin' Har", says Cancer.
"I can handle this," says Cliff.
"On yer knees boy, " Cancer replied. "You about to be smacked."
 
I was so bloody naïve - I saw myself riding my KLR to and from radiation and working throughout this whole ordeal. Thank God Julie Claire is one tough mama - she has kept the store going all by her lonesome for the last 3.5 weeks, in addition to dealing with me. Yipes, did I miss the mark. I couldn't even drive myself to my radiation appointments - thanks to Julie, Les, Ron, Mary and Korey for the help in that regard.
 
Three trips in the middle of the night to the ER.
Lost 40 lbs.
My throat was roasted to medium well inside and out.
Couple times I retched so hard my kidney was in my throat. (This may be hyperbole.......)
 
"He caught an even atom tan....."
"Atom Tan" by The Clash
 
So, did I tell you about the time the area around my feeding tube was infected? That was a 1 am trip to the ER so they could lance the thing and drain off a nice pool of green stuff. (Ain't you glad I spared you "selfies" of that?)
 
Did I tell you that crawling back on the table for the last couple three radiation treatments took all I could muster? Did I mention how many times I wanted to JUST QUIT?
 
All that is behind me now.......It has been a week since my Radiation Graduation. I have not had to take huge quantities of anti-biotics for over 24 hours. Said anti-b's produced enough gas whereby I coulda powered a small village for about 10 days.
 
Wait - izzat a light I see there in that long far off end of the tunnel?
 
 
Yessah, I bleeb it is - thanks to EVERYONE for helping me see and reach it.
 


Comments

Pete said…
Keep rockin' Cliff! Cancer treatment is no fun as you have testified. Glad to hear the worst of it is behind you and to hear of all the support you got when you needed it the most.

-- Pete
Anonymous said…
Your honest and witty recount of this ordeal put a smile on my face on this rainy day in DC. Wishing you and yours much sunshine in the near and distant future! -Anouk
Unknown said…
if anyone could write about his ordeal and make someone smile about it, it is you. You are an inspration and Nancy and I pray for your complete recovery. WE LOVE YOU !
SheRidesABeemer said…
Dang Cliff, 40 lbs is a lot of pancakes!
One day at a time!
Gail
Anonymous said…
Please tell me the white light is a metaphor for "light at the end of the tunnel" not, the white light you see before HE calls you up next.
Unknown said…
Have you been able to start to eat yet? I keep praying that day will come soon for you.

Eating will become a wonderful experience for you soon.

My thoughts are with you everyday. You are a hero and very special to all your friends. This cancer isn't easy but we are strong and have such a great backing of friends and family you have had to bring you thru this mess.

We miss you and care very much for you and your entire family.

Bev Hall
Anonymous said…
It only gets better from here on!!!
Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you, Julie and the kids!!!
Rick and Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile