Stuff that Works: A review of Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal

I decided to see what all the fuss about "steel cut oats" would boil down (sorry) to when it came to becoming a part of my breakfast. Steel cut oats are whole oat grains that have a very minimal processing before we eat them - the whole oat is cut into two or three pieces as opposed to being rolled out and having the fiber crushed out. Steel cut oats help in stabilizing blood sugar.
As of this writing, I am on my 4th container of Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal.
Simply put - I love it. I use the 5 minute variety - I believe they have some you need to cook for 30 minutes, but I do not have that much time to devote to preparing it in the morning - but 5 minutes works great. It actually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to bring the water/oats mixture to a boil and then simmer it for 5 minutes.
Why do I like it so much? Well, for one thing I have a feeling it is good for me. Some folks even put this kind of oatmeal into the "superfood" category because of the many benefits. Do a little research for yourself and see what you think.
The other reason I am such a fan is that when I eat one serving with a piece of toast, it fills me up and I am good to go until early afternoon. And I like the flavor and consistency. My little routine includes a big spoonful of brown sugar in the bowl and I dump the cooked oats on the brown sugar and stir it up. Sometimes, but not always, I put a dash of half/half in there as well - I always put a dose in my coffee so the half n half is on the counter anyway.
If you have been searching for a healthy breakfast cereal - then you might want to give these steel cut oats a try. You can find Flahavan's at these locations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile