Stuff That Works - A Review of Simple Minds 5x5 Live


I consider myself fortunate to have experienced Simple Minds live back in the time when Jim Kerr and Chrissie Hynde were together - in fact I saw their bands perform together at Pine Knob on a wonderful summer night in (I believe) 1984.

I have followed both Simple Minds and The Pretenders over the ensuing decades with much aural delight. I became a registered member of SimpleMinds.com a few years ago - this keeps me up to date with the band. When Simple Minds offered live recordings of their recent 5x5 tour of Australia to their members I jumped at the chance. (Get Some Here). I had my chance to order any one of the multiple dates they played down under and I chose December 9 at Sirromet Winery.
The 5x5 tour centers around the band playing 5 songs from each of their first 5 albums. Each concert features a slightly different set list. See below for the list on this particular night.


The band sounds great. Jim seems to be in fine voice - aided at crucial moments by the powerful voice of Sarah Brown. Those of you who are familiar with Simple Minds music on the first five albums can imagine the songs where Ms Brown's voice was/is a critical instrument.



 Guitar hero Charlie Burchill, who co-founded the band with Kerr, shows his skills on numerous toons. My favorite riffs from Charlie would be during The American (edging out See The Lights by a smidge). Drummer Mel Gaynor and bass man Ged Grimes provide a solid foundation for Charlie's work as well as the keyboards of Andy Gillespie.  I have listened to the entire concert several times all the way through now and am very happy with my purchase. If you are a long time fan, you will love hearing these early songs delivered live - if you are new to Simple Minds you can get a great sounding intro to the cream of their early work.

Two CDs full of great music from a band that has stuck together for decades.

The CDs of different tour stops were only available in lots of 1,000 to members of SimpleMinds.com If you want to own one, go join and see what might be left. If you have no desire to join the club, then the double album is available in many places - buy it by clicking on the picture below:

Set List For The December 9, 2012 Show
Waterfront
Love Song
Celebrate
All The Things She Said
The American
This Fear of Gods
See The Lights
Sanctify Yourself
Don't You Forget About Me
New Gold Dream
Someone, Somewhere in Summertime
Promised You A Miracle
Glittering Prize
Alive and Kicking
Ghost Dancing
Gloria (cover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile