Mayhap we can agree on this one thing?


I was wondering if it might be possible for us in the US (be we Left, Right, Centrist, Independent, or Undecided) could MAYBE agree on one thing when it comes to guns.

First let me say that while I am not a hunter or gun owner, I really don't have an axe to grind with either of those groups. As a motorcycle rider who resides in the county that consistently leads the entire State of Michigan in deer-vehicle collisions, I am all in favor of the ladies n gents who enjoy hunting deer. More power to you. Feed the hungry with the deer you kill - from what I understand it is getting increasingly easier to do just that, but I digress.

With that being said, how about we put a Nationwide ban, with the exception of law enforcement and the military, on the sale of guns that hold more than six bullets? I don't want to take away any one's "right" to own a gun, but how about we make it harder for someone to tote around a gun that is capable of firing off almost three dozen rounds in less time that I can spell "Cincinnati" (I have a tendency to spell it wrong and always double check).

Why exactly would anyone besides a cop or a member of the armed forces need a handgun that can pack 33 rounds at a time? Target practice? Squirrels?

Can we all agree that offering such a gun for sale might could be a bad idea?

You can argue that EVEN if it was illegal, that nutjob in Arizona could have gotten his hands on one.

Yup, you can argue that if you want. I suppose he could get his hands on a tank or a drone missle launcher as well, but at least we tried to make it harder for him to do so. It is time ALL of us in the US got together and decided that we MUST regulate the sale of certain types of guns.

Comments

Anthony said…
Ask yourself how an organization of 4 million people (the membership of the NRA) can dictate policy to our federal government. They're barely one percent of the population of America.
Of course, with the continued proliferation of guns, their percentage continues to increase as they whittle down the rest of us.
Big Red Dawg said…
I am guessing they are so successful because they make a lot of noise. Their lobbyists seem to get the job done.
I don't want to take guns away from anyone, but good lord can we not at least pass some sensible laws? Someone said, "Well if his big magazine was illegal he could have done the same thing by carrying more guns." Okay, then maybe we should FORCE the crack pots to work harder to kill us.
Zack Danger said…
As a Police Officer, and motorcycle rider, I would like to chime in.

Limiting the number of bullets a gun can hold in an attempt to curb murder would be like limiting the amount of gas your car or motorcycle can hold to curb people who run from the police.

"If only we limited all vehicles to 2 gallons of gas, high speed chases would end sooner."

The reason firearms hold as many rounds as they do is because of convenience. When I go to the range to practice, or compete in firearm sporting events, the less reloading I have to do the better.

Just like I chose which vehicle I am going to take on road trips based on gasoline capacity and fuel economy.

Although, the real difference is that it takes me a few minutes to fill the tank on my car, it only takes a second for me to change magazines on my pistol or rifle.

In my state we still have a restriction for civilians that they can only purchase and own magazines that hold 10 bullets or less.

The only thing that it has accomplished is increase the nuisance to gun owners, and drive up the price of magazines to astronomically high prices.

The correct way to address the issue of criminals getting in their cars and running from the cops is not to limit the amount of gas the other 31 Million Americans are allowed to put in their car.

$0.02
Big Red Dawg said…
I put Zack's comments up here in keeping with my policy to post opposing viewpoints - as long as they are not attacking or spam.
I think the attempt at a parallel between limiting the number of rounds any particular gun can hold at one time to gas tank size is one hell of a stretch. If that is the best support for 100 round magazines, then it proves my point. It is time for the Holy Second Amendment to be modified - when it was written guns were loaded one bullet at a time in a method that took more time than it takes for these modern guns to empy a magazine.
David B said…
Sorry, Zack, sophistry doesn't cut it. "... a nuisance to gun owners, and drive up the price of magazines to astronomically high prices" will likely not get much sympathy.

Those who lobbied and legislated for assault weapons and large magazines are enablers.

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile