My predictions for President Obama.

First let me say that I hope the following viewpoint turns out to be ALL wrong.

I don't think Mr. Obama is going to usher in very much change at all. Sure, he might be at the helm for some giant government employment programs, but what I am talking about is serious change - the kind of change that was promised and/or implied in his whole campaign.
If you take a look at the people he has appointed on his team then you might see that there are indications that it is going to be Business As Usual.
I don't think he will pull us out of Iraq all that quickly. At the same time I think he is going to get us further involved militarily in other countries.
I think the government bailouts will still be devoted to the big money boys and girls who are responsible for the millions and millions he raised in his campaign. Sure, he got a lot of small donations - but is some Schmoe who sent in $100 of his hard earned money going to get access to the president? What is Mr. Schmoe compared to a fat cat who wrote a check or checks for the maximum amount or who works for a corporation that has funnelled thousands and thousands into the Obama/Democratic coffers?
I predict the squeeky wheels that receive the oil of Federal Funds will be the big financial wheels he rode to Washington on - not the people who scrimped and sent him a hundred bucks.
If he takes on health care, I predict that the same "trickle down" theories will be put into effect. Make some changes, but keep the cash flow nozzles directed at the big companies who grease the skids with money. Those of us scrambling to cover health care costs or wondering how the heck we are going to be able to keep buying insurance for ourselves and our families will be doing the very same thing next year and the year after that, etc.
Big Changes?
Watching out for us little people - you know, the VOTERS?
I don't think it is going to happen - please prove me wrong Mr. President.
Please.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I fear you're not far off the mark there Cliff....
Anonymous said…
Any one who believes that a politician can deliver on all his promises made during a campaign is surely naive. I am truly excited about our new president for the simple reason that he represents a new way of thinking for the American people. Bush ran as a compassionate conservative but was anything but. I've always said Republicans love money and Democrats love people. To get a Universal one payer health care system means putting a lot of people in the insurance business out of work. When Canada did it, it was painful and involved a strike by Doctors, of all people. It has to come eventually but I'm not sure how Obama can do it. Too many people have a financial stake in our cumbersome, expensive, and inefficient health care system. Remember, about all the president can do is appoint Federal Officers, enforce the law according to the constitution, sign or veto laws, and make treaties. He can URGE the congress to pass certain laws but cannot enact laws himself. bush surrounded himself with leftovers from the Reagan and G.H.W. Bushes administration and it is not surprising Obama did the same by selecting Clintonistas. In any case these are experienced and brilliant veterans of Washington and I believe he has made mostly good choices. Remember the Clinton years were good years for the economy and respect from foreign countries. The average contribution to Obama's campaign was $87 and if he forgets those little people, he is making a mistake.
Big Red Dawg said…
My point is that while President Obama ran on a campaign that promises change and, as you say, a new way of thinking - I do not believe he is demonstrating very much that is new at this point. Again, I hope I am wrong in my assessment that he will be more of "business as usual" and not so much change.
We shall see.
FWIW - I am glad he won the election, even though I supported the Libertarian candidate.

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile