Don't bother buying an Orek vacuum.

I realize this is NOT a Consumers Report-esque blog, but let me tell why I think you ought to skip the purchase of an Orek vacuum. Abour 4 years ago we needed a new vac and Julie had seen all the ads about the Orek - she liked that it was lightweight when she went to a nearby showroom to try one out. We bought one and figured it was doing a good job.
Let me mention that we have one cat and one small dog. Our dog is a beagle-mix and is very generous about letting her fine little hairs fall all over - she sheds. We live in a country setting, so it is fairly safe to say that dirt gets tracked into the house. On the other hand, all the kids are gone so the house is home to Julie and I and the cat & dog, not a mob scene by any stretch.
Fast forward to two days ago - we decided to use the Orek at our store full time and Julie bought a new vacuum for the house. She spent $170 on a Bissel. The Bissel promotes itself as being "a magnet for pet hair" and is one of those bagless vacuums with a HEPA filter on the exhaust.
I came home two nights ago and Julie was really excited.....and a little pissed. When she ran the new Bissel in our living room and part of another room the plastic collection cannister filled to the brim with all kinds of hair and lots of dirt. In fact the tubes leading to the cannister were filled with pet hair. The Orek had not been doing the job at all. The amount of hair and dirt that came out of our carpets over the next hour or so was UNBELIEVABLE.
So, dear readers, if you are thinking of a new vacuum - take a wide path AROUND an Orek.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks - I think you just saved me a bundle! I also have a dog who sheds a lot and was thinking of buying an Orek. I think I'll look into Bissel instead (at about 1/3 the cost).
Unknown said…
I agree..they are overpriced and I was disappointed.. My Sears Kenmore that was under $100 worked better than this Oreck..but I"m stuck with it for now ..oh well, you live and learn..the only good thing about it is that it's lightweight.

Popular posts from this blog

Olive oil and lemon juice gallstone cleanse works!

A blog called SuperForest and saving seeds.

Love Wines Opens Tasting Room in Lowell at Red Barn Mercantile